Archive for November, 2012
Hello hello! TGIF!! I’m recapping this week “five” style!
Five Meals from the Week
1. Healthy baked chicken nuggets with TJ’s sweet and spicy mustard and roasted green beans and the last bit of broccoli slaw.
2. Pumpkin oats with peanut butter
3. This strange lunch I had yesterday that consisted of 1 can of tuna mixed with buffalo sauce, laughing cow swiss cheese, and broccoli slaw. It was quite possibly the strangest thing I’ve ever eaten but was so good. Carrots on the side.
4. Bowl of plain Chobani, vanilla, stevia, cinnamon, chopped apple, and almond butter
5. Big bowl of brussels sprouts, broccoli slaw, and spinach with my first ever attempt at a dippy egg. It was fabulous, and I will definitely be using this egg technique again!
Five Three Workouts from the Week
Yep, it’s been one of those weeks where I only managed to get to the gym 3 days. I’m working hard on getting our Christmas musical together, which requires lots of time spent working after school, so my afternoon runs aren’t really happening. Morning runs don’t happen because I’m just too darn lazy. But I did fit in my 3 Best Body Bootcamp strength sessions for the week! #winning?
Monday: Workout B, which was “pull boot camp circuits.”
Wednesday: Workout A, which was “push boot camp circuits.”
Friday: Workout C, which was “full body super sets with partial reps.” For the partial reps, we were supposed to lower our weights by 30%. Then we go to the peak contraction of the exercise returning halfway back to the starting position until fatigued.
Whew, that was tough!
Five Random Things About This Week
My brothers’ birthday (birthdays?) was Tuesday, and Mom invited me and Chad over to eat cupcakes. When we got there she told me that Rick and Drew were busy and couldn’t come…. so we ate their cupcakes and sent them this picture.
I kind of felt bad for it, but then I bit into this cupcake and changed my mind.
Holy yum that was good. Anyway, happy belated birthday to my wonderful twin brothers, Rick and Drew! 🙂
2. This has been my view every morning on my way to the gym.
I mean, it’s pretty and all, but I’d rather not be driving to the gym at a time of day when the moon is out. Darn work schedule preventing me from working out after the sun rises! 😉
3. I received a letter in the mail about an opportunity that I’m really excited about but wont talk about on here juuuust yet.
4. I ordered a pair of Brooks Pure Flows on Sunday (they were almost 50% off!), and today they were waiting on my when I got home from work!!!
I cannot WAIT to run in them tomorrow!!! 🙂
5. I saw this post from Jenny yesterday about doing a 25 Days of Blogging Christmas Challenge. Since I’ve really been slacking on posting daily, I thought this would be the perfect way to challenge myself to write once a day, even if it’s just about that day’s topic and nothing else! Plus, I wanted an excuse to use her cute buttons. 😉
Five Ways I Plan to Stay Active During the Holidays
Now, I’m not the kind of person who’s going to decrease my calories leading up to the holidays just so I can eat all I want when they get here. I’m just going to eat all I want anyway! lol So, my main goal for the upcoming month is to stay as active as possible!
1. I joined Courtney’s “2012 Closeout Workout Challenge” on Challenge Loop. Basically, I’ve pledged to do 2,012 total repetitions of push-ups, bench dips, crunches, leg lifts, and air jacks during the 31 days of December. That comes out to about 13 reps of each exercise per day, which is pretty attainable! This is just another way to keep myself moving every single day, even if I don’t go to the gym. Plus, there are prizes for people who complete all the reps! 🙂
2. I’ll be finishing out the last two weeks Best Body Bootcamp strong! There’s still two weeks of December where I’ll have to figure out an exercise routine, but I think I can handle that. Then I’ve got something exciting in store for 2013! 😉
3. RUNNING. I’ve been slacking like crazy on my runs lately. There’s a Candy Cane 5k tomorrow that I may or may not be running. If I don’t, then I’ll just run 3-5 miles on my own. There aren’t really that many more races in my area until December 31st, so I’ll just have to be committed to getting these runs in on my own! Then, once again, I’ve got some exciting running news for 2013!
4. Fun holiday “active-itie”s. For example, instead of sitting on my butt and shopping online, I could get in a little walking and actually go out to the mall/store to do my Christmas shopping. Instead of standing around in the kitchen waiting on dinner to cook, play some Christmas music and dance. Park a little further away from the entrance at the grocery store. I know it’s cold out, but the extra walking is good, plus there are people who actually need those closer spots. You get the idea!
5. Give to others. I know this isn’t a physical activity that will improve my health. This is the kind of activity that will improve my spiritual health and make me a better person from the inside out. It’s always good to give to others, whether it be giving to charities, sponsoring a child/family for Christmas, or even baking some treats for the neighbors. Do some good this holiday season! 🙂
Well, I’ve got a groggy husband to take care of (poor thing just had a colonoscopy) and feed dinner. Have a great Friday night!
Well, it’s time again to link up with Katie for a little Marvelous in My Monday! Anything to make Monday a little better right??
Saturday was such a marvelous day! I slept in a little longer than I wanted though. I was hoping to get up in time to enjoy a nice long run, but it just didn’t happen. But all wasn’t lost! I pulled out The Fitnessista’s Holiday HIIT workout and the Six Pack in a Sweater ab burner. The HIIT workout had me practically gasping for air, and the ab burner seriously burned!
Soon after that, I needed food. I toasted my very last pumpkin spiced bagel, half with almond butter and half with pumpkin butter.
Chad and I spent the rest of the morning doing Christmasy things, like putting up the tree!
Then it was time to head to my granddad’s for another Thanksgiving celebration with my immediate family on my mom’s side. I tried to keep my phone away so that I could spend time with family, but I did give it to Chad when we all went outside to take pictures!
Sunday was marvelous as well but much more low key. We started the morning out at church. I made a simple potato soup for lunch, and then we relaxed for the afternoon until it was church time again. We had another bonfire for our youth, this time with a hayride, which was so much fun! I couldn’t get any good pictures because it was dark, but I did get the shot of everyone trying to cook their hotdog at the same time. hah!
Well friends, I hope your Thanksgiving break/weekend/day was just a marvelous as mine! I guess it’s back to my normal schedule for the next 4 weeks, and then the Christmas craziness begins!!
*Side note: I wrote out this entire post, and then it got deleted. I had to rewrite it, so I’m sorry if it doesn’t seem very well written. I was frustrated!*
Well friends, our Thanksgiving festivities have definitely been a success so far! I’ll do my best to fit it all in a short recap. (Yeah right)
Beware, there will be no healthy food talk from this point forward. 😉
I started the morning with a 3 mile run and walked the last .61 miles back to my house.
After a shower and breakfast, I finished up the dessert I’d been working on the day before.
This is the same pumpkin trifle that I made last Thanksgiving. It was requested again this year! Recipe from DashingDish.com!
We hit the road around 11:15 to Shiloh, TN to have lunch with our extended family on my mom’s side.
After lunch we goofed around with the cousins. We especially love this particular child.
I even convinced Chad to take a decent picture with me.
I didn’t get as many pictures this time, but I did get one of my dinner plate.
I also caught my dad wearing his Thanksgiving crown.
We stayed for a while, visiting with everyone, then Chad and I decided to call it a night and head home to get some sleep. We had an early morning of Black Friday shopping ahead! 3:00 a.m. was our wake-up call, and we were out and about by 3:45. We go Black Friday shopping with my mom and brother, Drew every year. It’s so much fun! Even if we don’t get anything, it’s hilarious to watch all the crazies!
Here’s a little glimpse of the boot massacre at Belk.
The remainder of our Friday was literally spent on the couch. I slept on and off all day while watching Band of Brothers. That show is so interesting. I never realized how much a like war stories!
We have another Thanksgiving feast to attend today with our immediate family on my mom’s side, so I’ll be recapping that one later!
Have a wonderful Saturday! 🙂
Evening! Not much to share today, but I wanted to get in on the What I Ate Wednesday action before the Thanksgiving craziness starts!
After breakfast, Chad and I ran some errands before going with my mom to Big Lots to look at furniture. We were still out by lunch time, so we stopped at Applebee’s for food! I ordered off of the pick n’ pair menu and got the grilled shrimp spinach salad and tomato basil soup. It was amazing!
After lunch, we had plans to help ring the bell for the Salvation Army outside our local FoodLand. It was actually really fun! 🙂
I’ve been feeling a little sick lately, so after ringing the bell for two hours, I didn’t do much of anything. I did end up having a pure protein bar as a late afternoon snack but didn’t get a picture.
As far as dinner goes, it was pretty yummy! I baked some tilapia, roasted Brussels sprouts, and sautéed some carrots in a little brown sugar and honey.
And since I don’t hold anything back on here, I’ll tell you about the DELICIOUS homemade apple cobbler I had for dessert tonight. Once again, I
was too busy stuffing my face forgot to snap a picture, but just know that it was a,aging. 😉
Alrighty, well that’s about it for this edition of WIAW. I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving tomorrow! And here’s a little video to start your Thanksgiving off right!
Turkey in Yo Belly!
I always feel like I’m playing catch-up here on the blog. I want to write during the week, but by the time I get home, all I want to do is sleep. My days at school are getting longer and longer especially with our Christmas musical quickly approaching! As far as this week of school goes, I really wish we could have the entire week off instead of just three days. I mean really, what good are these two days of school going to do??
I kid I kid. 😉 Anyway, here’s what’s been going on over here the past week.
Late afternoon walk with husband on Monday.
We bought a “new” car!
That’s right, another thing to cross off my 30 Before 30 list is buying a car! We bought this 2008 Honda Accord from my grandad on Tuesday. My grandmother bought the car the year the she died, so it rarely was driven. It’s practically still new and even has that “new car” smell. Our reason for buying the car is actually a long and boring story, so I’ll spare you those deets.
Lots of different breakfasts.
Omelets, yogurt bowls, pumpkin oats, and pumpkin spiced bagels!
Lots of different workouts. All the strength workouts came from the Best Body Bootcamp that I’m following!
- Monday: 2 mile walk with Chad
- Tuesday: Strength workout A which incorporated ladders. 5 reps, rest, 6 reps, rest, 7 reps, rest, and so on until you complete 10 reps.
- Wednesday: Strength workout B which incorporated isometric holds. OUCH! Complete 5-8 reps of a move, and then hold at the peak of the exercise for 5-8 counts. Repeat.
- Thursday: 3 mile run on the treadmill
- Friday: Strength workout C. Also incorporated ladders.
- Saturday: Dam-Bridge 10k! Official time- 1:02:41 This was my first time ever racing a 10k, so I was excited!
I started in the very back of the group, and the race didn’t use timing chips, so my official time was a little off I think. Here’s what my Nike app told me!
Movie date to see Breaking Dawn Part 2!
Chad was “so” excited. 😉 I’ll be honest, I read all the Twilight books a few years ago and loved them at the time. But as I think back on them now, they really annoy me. The movies are even worse. I think the first 3 movies from the Saga are just plain horrid. But, we just had to see the movies through to the end, and I was very pleasantly surprised with this one. It was actually pretty awesome! I wont give anything away, but those of you who have seen it know what I’m talking about when I say at one point during the movie, I was really PISSED. I was even thinking about all the bad things I was going to say about the movie via Twitter/Facebook. But in the end, the movie was fantastic. Well done!
Sunday lunch at my parents’.
Having Sunday lunch at my parents’ house is starting to become a tradition of ours. That, or we’re just mooching. 😉
Tonight we have our annual Community Thanksgiving Service at church, and our choir is singing a special. I’ll be singing with them and enjoying the service, but as soon as it’s over, I’ll be booking it home to catch the new episode of The Walking Dead!! WHOOOO! My mom has a theory that Carol found Lori before she died (remember, Carl never actually shot her because Rick found the clean bullet!!!) and was able to help her! This is the only thing that’s giving me hope for the rest of the season. Well, that and Daryl’s poncho.
Have a wonderful Sunday night! 🙂
Marvelous was: Having a movie night with Chad on Friday night. We watched the new spider man movie. I was a little iffy about it at first, but it was actually really good. I liked it better than all the other spider man movies!
Marvelous was: Spending the rest of my Saturday doing almost nothing. 🙂
He was actually just trying to let the blanket dry, but I still thought it was funny. 😉
Marvelous was: Watching last night’s episode of The Walking Dead. OMG. So many questions!! Who the heck was on the phone???? Next week cannot come soon enough!
Marvelous was: Sleeping until 8:00 A.M. this morning!!! I almost didn’t believe it when I looked at the clock. I literally don’t remember the last time I slept that late!
After breakfast, Chad and I had to do some not-so-marvelous grocery shopping, but we are spending the rest of the day relaxing and enjoying the day off from work! 🙂 A Marvelous Monday indeed.
Well, it’s been a week since my last post. This was not intentional at all. Every day I said I was going to write, but every day I found something else to occupy my time with, so blogging fell to the wayside. (Not that anyone cares though)
I thought I’d take some time to recap seven of my favorite things that have happened since last Saturday. Hence the title of this post. 😉
1. Last Saturday, Chad and I enjoyed a delicious steak dinner, marinated by me and cooked by him!
2. Chad recently bought a pull up bar and put it in the doorway to our den. Now, every time he walks through the door he does some pull ups. It’s quite funny.
3. Monday night I made stuffed peppers for dinner. They were pretty good, but I didn’t use rice, so it was almost like a giant meatball inside the pepper. haha
4. I voted on Tuesday! No, the results didn’t turn out like I’d hoped, but that doesn’t mean that I’m not proud of my right to vote!
5. I’ve been sticking with the Best Body Bootcamp workouts, and they’re really awesome! I’ve worked out every day this week except Wednesday. (Because I stayed up too late watching the election Tuesday night.)
Monday: Workout A from BBB
Tuesday: Speed intervals on the treadmill.
Thursday: Workout B from BBB (Holy isometric holds Batman!)
Friday: Workout C from BBB
Today: 5 mile run (I’ll talk about this one in another post)
6. Chad baptized one of our youth at church on Wednesday night. It was beautiful! 🙂
7. Pierre and Chad spent their Friday morning deep in The Word. 🙂 Totes adorbs.
And that’s about it. Let’s hope I don’t wait another week before writing again. 😉 Have a great Saturday!