Archive for January, 2013
Ooooooookay so I know it’s late in the day, but I am finally sitting down after a long day of work + a meeting + cooking, and I’m ready to join Katie and all the others for Marvelous in My Monday! 🙂
We going allllll the way back to Saturday when I had my first group run for Team Total Health. I haven’t mentioned much about TTH on the blog, but it’s basically a group of people from our community who share a common goal in life, and that’s to be healthy! The group was started by a local dentist (Dr. Jimmy Gardiner, GO TO HIM! :)) who wants to emphasize total health, including dental health of course! Hence the name Team TOTAL Health. I’m really excited to be part of this group and can’t wait to see what this year brings!
A group from TTH met Saturday morning to run 5 miles together. I’ll be honest, the pace was much faster than I ever would have gone, but I pushed myself hard and averaged a pace of 9:19. For 5 miles, that’s great for me!
Here are some of us after our run.
It was definitely a marvelous run!
Another marvelous thing about my Saturday? An afternoon coffee pick-me-up while Chad and his nephew enjoy some cupcakes.
That night I made a super marvelous dinner for me and the boys.
I gave the boys real noodles of course, but for me it was spaghetti squash, tomato sauce, homemade meatballs, and parm! SO GOOD. I hope my MIL doesn’t get upset when I confess that the nephew said it was the best meal he’s ever eaten. 😉
Sunday is always marvelous because it’s a REST DAY! Those are so important, and I am more than happy to take one (or more!) a week. 🙂
This morning, it was back to reality with a 4:30 am wake-up. Ugh. At least Chad and I were able to get in a really
awesome marvelous lower body + abs workout. Take a look!
Chad and I would switch up workouts during the supersets. While I was doing weighted side crunches, he was doing leg presses, etc. It was actually fun. Try it out with your sweetheart in honor of Valentines day coming up! 🙂
Here’s something else marvelous that I just realized… It’s the official 1 year anniversary/birthday of Eat Sweat Sing! I started blogging in August 2011 as a way to document my new life as a wife and to document my weight-loss journey. Over 6 months, my blog evolved into what it is today. So happy birthday Eat Sweat Sing! 🙂
So to end this completely random post detailing all the random marvelousness in my life the past three days, how about a look at tonight’s dinner?
Parmesan encrusted tilapia, roasted green beans, and baked sweet potatoes. This made my tummy happy! 🙂
Thanks to this girl for the tilapia inspiration! I took her suggestion and tweaked it a bit to create a new version of boring tilapia. I don’t really measure spices, so this is just an estimate of what I used.
Parmesan Encrusted Tilapia
- 4 small tilapia fillets
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 2 tbs bread crumbs
- 2 tbs parmesan cheese
Coat both sides of tilapia in mixture and cook on medium heat in a greased skillet for 4-5 minutes on each side. EASY!
Off to find something sweet before bed and yet another 4:30 am wake-up call. Have a marvelous night!
It’s been a great weekend over here, but I’m saving it for MIMM tomorrow. So here are my plans for the week!
M- Legs and Abs
T- 3 miles
W- Arms and Chest + 4 miles
Th- 3 miles
F- Shoulders and Back
S- 9 miles
M- Tilapia, sweet potatoes, Brussels sprouts
T- Chicken, roasted asparagus, glazed carrots.
Th- Healthy sloppy joes, green beans
S- Wing it/leftovers
Blogging from my iPad = HUGE pictures.
You know how sometimes you have those weeks where it seems to fly by, and you have all the time in the world to get things done….. and other times there are the weeks that seem to draggggg on forever, yet you don’t even have time to sit down and rest? Mine was definitely the latter this week. It’s so strange because we were off on Monday plus we had a late start this morning. I’m just glad it’s finally Friday and I can enjoy a semi-relaxing weekend! Since I couldn’t find time to write much during the week, this Fie Things Friday is the perfect way to catch up!
1. Tues- 3 miles on the treadmill
2. Wed- Arms/Chest strength with Chad
3. Wed- 4 mile run after work (not pictured)
4. Thurs- 3 miles on the treadmill again
5. Fri- Shoulders/Back strength with Chad
1. Tuesday’s dinner was apple chicken sausage w/peppers and roasted Brussels
2. Thursday’s breakfast was the infamous pumpkin pats and pb
3. Thursday’s dinner was
way too much food skinny chicken tenders, sweet potato wedges, and roasted veggies.
4. Lunch on Tuesday was a mixture of spaghetti squash, grilled chicken, laughing cow cheese, and buffalo sauce.
5. Lunch on Wednesday also had spaghetti squash, plus leftover chicken sausage from dinner.
Five Thoughts from the Week
1. I’ve been really pushing myself out of my comfort zone on the treadmill. Usually, I’m content to set the speed at a measly 5.5 and cruise along until I reach my mileage. But lately, I’ve been starting out at 6.0 for my warm up, then cranking up the speed through my run. I can already tell a difference in my speed and endurance from doing this! I’m hoping this motivation to run fast will get me a few PRs in my upcoming 5ks and 1/2 marathon! 🙂
2. I absolutely love our youth at church. Chad does a great job with them, and they’re just so fun to be around. I almost cried Wednesday night as I watched all of these teenagers praising God with their hands in the air like they didn’t care who was watching. I’m so happy the God called Chad into ministry and put us in this position. I feel so blessed! 🙂
3. It’s Friday, so that means its fajita night at Casa for us!!!!! 😉
4. I have a group run scheduled for tomorrow. The last one got canceled because of rain, so this is still my first one!
5. Chad hates when I take pictures of us at the gym, so I made him take one of me instead. 😉
I’ve got to get better at this consistency thing on my blog. Until then, thanks for reading anyway. 😉
It’s been an awesome 3 day weekend over here! What better way to share than with this marvelous link-up with Katie! 🙂
Chad and I took the youth to a weekend retreat called Behold at Camp Sumatanga near Oneonta, AL. We go to Behold every year, and the youth always have a great time, so we were excited! Here are some highlights from our trip.
Chad talking with our youth on our first night.
I went out on an early 7 mile run. The first 3 miles were with three other boys from our youth group who needed to run for cross-country. I stayed back with one while we did run/walk intervals, so they were a little slower than normal, but I wasn’t complaining! 😉 I finished up the last 4 miles by myself. It was a little boring, but I had some great scenery!
Worshiping and having fun!
On top of the mountain enjoying the view!
Our awesome group of kids on our last day.
It was a pretty awesome trip. We got back last night, which was great because I still had today off for MLK holiday!
We slept in (until 8:00!), drank coffee in bed, ate a late breakfast, and then got started on unpacking and doing laundry. We also made a trip to Publix and Walmart for a few groceries. Afterwards, we went down to my parents’ house to eat lunch and visit.
Lunch for me was Publix chili. Delicious!
Doggy play time!
Appointment at the doctor to check thyroid levels.
I got to work on dinner when I got home from the doctor. I went with something simple, yet delicious (since we’d been eating camp food for two and a half days).
Chicken, roasted zucchini/squash, and baked sweet potatoes. I normally eat a little bit more chicken than that, but I accidentally cut it too small. It looks so puny in this picture!
I’m reeeaaally looking forward to dessert, because I picked up some new items at the grocery store that I’ve been searching for for a while now.
I bought this flavor plus the coffee with dark chocolate bits. I’m SO excited to try these!!
I’m glad I could join the MIMM party this week, and I hope that you guys had a great weekend. Time to get ready for this 4 day school week! 🙂
I’m blogging from my iPad, so for some reason all the pictures seem huge. Sorry!
Yesterday afternoon I saw the sun for the first time in over a week. I didn’t know what to do. “The big yellow one’s the SUN!” Please someone gets my Brian Reagan reference there. Anyway, a full week of cold, dreary, rainy days makes for one gigantic TGIF!
1. Arms and chest strength on Monday
2. 3 miles on Tuesday
3. 3 miles on Wednesday
4. 3 miles on Thursday
5. Shoulders and back strength this morning.
1. Monday night’s dinner- Buffalo turkey burgers and sweet potato wedges
2. Breakfast on Tuesday- Pumpkin oats and peanut butter
3. Tuesday’s dinner- Chicken and veggie stir-fry
4. Breakfast on Thursday- Chobani bowl with apples and almond butter
5. Thursday’s dinner- “Super Skinny Chicken Alfredo” made from spaghetti squash, grilled chicken, and a homemade healthy Alfredo sauce. It was husbands first time eating spaghetti squash, and he didn’t hate it! SCORE! 😉
Five Random Things
1. Tuesday morning we had a late start at school because of ice. I got to set my weekday alarm for 6:30! I haven’t seen that kind of alarm time on a school day in a LONG time. Thank you ice!!
2. I love getting pictures from my students. Even if they draw the music notes backwards. 😉 Maybe that should be my next lesson?
3. Speaking of school and lessons, this week I’ve been teaching the 2nd grade about notes and rhythms, and I can’t tell you how amazing it is to see their faces when they finally understand what it all means. They get so excited when they learn about music!
4. Chad is currently obsessed with guns and has talked about them approximately 1.5 million times this week. I actually made a compromise with him that he could get another gun if he would run a race with me. And looky who was beside me on the treadmill this past Wednesday. 😉
5. Right now, Chad and I are off on an adventure with 36 youth! Pray for us! 😉
Well hellooooo and happy Wednesday to you! I hope it’s been a good one so far. I’ve been a little bummed all day because I keep thinking it’s Thursday, and that’s no fun! 😦
Here’s something a little different from the normal What I Ate Wednesday. I call it, What I Do (or did) Wednesday. 😉
Wake up, take dogs out, get dressed, drink coffee, and quiet time. This is typically what I look and feel like that early in the morning. 😉
Workout: 3 miles on the treadmill. For some reason, my treadmill runs are always slow. So lately I’ve been trying to push myself to run faster. It really took a lot to get under 30 minutes. It’s so strange because my 5k PR is 28:16? At least I had The Biggest Loser to entertain and motivate me!
Even better, I got to run beside my best friend!!! 🙂
Chad actually promised to run a 5k with me before this summer and did his first run/walk this morning. I’m SO excited that he’s doing this!! 🙂 I can’t think of anything better than running with my best friend beside me! Now I know how this girl feels!
Breakfast, which is usually an omelet from 1 egg plus 1/2 cup of egg whites, cheese, and spinach.
Arrive at work and get things ready for the day.
I have three Kindergarten classes on Wednesday mornings. They require lots of energy, but it’s fun!
Lunch. Today it was Campbell’s All Natural Chicken w/ Whole Grain Pasta soup…
I teach one 2nd grade class and one Kindergarten class after lunch.
During this time, I go to the library and read with students who may be struggling.
After school pick-up duty.
Home! Unless I have to stay after school to work, I’m usually home by 3:30.
Since I have such an early lunch, I immediately dig into a snack after work! Today it was a Pure Protein bar.
Blogging, dishes, prepping dinner, other chores, etc.
Arrive at church to go over songs for the night with Chad.
Dinner at church.
Choir practice (I stay for the 1st half of practice)
Praise band practice (again, I’m only there for the 2nd half)
HOME FOR THE NIGHT! I usually go straight to bed!
Well, there’s my typical Wednesday. It’s about 4:45 now, so I’ve still got lots to do for the rest of the evening! We’ve got another chance for snow over here, So we may be looking at another late start in the morning. I’m not counting on it though, because what are the odds of two late starts in one week?? I’m crossing my fingers though. 😉
Have a WONDERFUL Wednesday!!
Here’s the thing. I love the flavor of buffalo wings, but I don’t love all the calories and fat that come along with fried chicken. Instead, I like to put buffalo sauce on everything. Literally. You can ask my husband.
So after a few weeks of making turkey burgers, I figured I could spice it up a bit and whip up some buffalo style turkey burgers! And it was pretty simple.
Now, I’m not claiming this recipe to be 100% mine because there are tons of similar buffalo turkey burger recipes out there, but I wanted something super simple and this is what I came up with.
- 20 oz (about 1 lb) 97% fat free ground turkey
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tbs onion powder
- 1/4 cup Frank’s buffalo wing sauce OR Frank’s hot sauce
- (optional to help hold patties together) 1 egg
- (optional to help hold patties together) 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- Whole wheat buns (I used Healthy Life 80 calorie buns)
- 1 tbs Fat free ranch
*Note: I did not use the egg or bread crumbs, and my patties started falling apart a little bit in the skillet. This is why I’ve added them to the list of ingredients.*
Combine ground turkey, garlic salt, onion powder, buffalo sauce, and optional sticking add-ins in a large bowl. Form into 5 equal sized patties and let sit in fridge for 30 minutes. Cook in a skillet on medium (flipping halfway) for about 15 minutes or until cooked through.
When ready, place burgers on a toasted whole wheat bun and add 1 tbs of fat free ranch. Enjoy with homemade sweet potato wedges!
Without using the egg or bread crumbs, this burger came on to be about 245 calories!
If you try it, let me know how it turns out. Enjoy! 🙂