Archive for June, 2012
Hi friends! 🙂
Yesterday Chad and I had verrrry long but super fun day planned! We slept in just a little and got to the gym around 6:30 to kill some shoulders and back. 😉 This is by far my favorite workout for some reason. I love it! It went a little like this…
Afterwards, we came home, fueled with a little protein powder + milk (almond milk for me), showered, and then got to work on a real breakfast.
One egg plus 2 egg white scramble with mozzarella, spinach, and ketchup 😉
We lounged around for most of the morning, cleaning, watching TV, and just hanging out before making some lunch. I started out with some carrots and almonds that were not pretty enough to photo. Then I fixed a very yummy yogurt mess of plain Chobani, a little vanilla, cinnamon, strawberries, and almond butter.
After lunch, we grabbed a snack for our afternoon of errands across the river in Florence. We had lots of places to go and lots of things to buy
that we didn’t need. We were also meeting up with some friends for dinner at BWW!
Justin’s PB spotted at TJ Maxx!!
You bet I grabbed this as soon as I saw it! I left with a jar of this plus some Gnu bars, cupcake coffee, and Nike hair bands.
Target was another stop on our list. We went in for beach chairs and came out with 2 chairs, Luna/Lara bars, nail polish, queso dip, body wash, a loofah, and of course it’s not a trip to Target with out buying a new bathing suit. I swear I have a problem. I also found these at Target!!!
I’ve been seeing Courtney rave about these pancakes, so I was SUPER excited to try them out!
We still had some time to kill before dinner, so we went to play at the mall. What are we 13?? 😉
I mustache you a question…….
Saw that over on Julie’s blog today too! haha
When dinner rolled around, I was debating on whether to get the black bean burger or the naked tenders with a sauce for dipping……
The tenders won! They were yummy and juicy and the medium style sauce I ordered was perfect with them! I was dipping my fries in the sauce too. This wasn’t a bad meal for a place like Buffalo Wild Wings. About 500 calories for the tenders, sauce, and fries. I may have undone my good work when I got home and opened that jar of Justin’s PB! haha
This morning I woke up with only one thing on my mind: SEVEN MILES. I had a 7 mile run on the schedule today and was kind of nervous about this one. This is the longest distance I have run so far, so it was intimidating. But, I geared up after having the Gatorade energy chews and hit the pavement!
This was a seriously tough run and I really regretted not bringing any water with me. But I kept going and finished those 7 miles! I was so so proud of myself! I called Chad and begged him to come pick me up though, because I couldn’t stand the thought of having to walk back home. 😉 What a great husband right??
After a shower, I new EXACTLY what we were having for breakfast…
Kodiak Cakes!!! Can you tell I loved them? I couldn’t even wait to take a picture before having my first bite! 😉 On top is some Justin’s PB and a drizzle of sugar free syrup. YUM!
Today agenda is going to consist of one thing.
I’m so ready for our family’s beach vacation in Fort Morgan next week! I just hope I can keep up with the blog while I’m lounging in the sand. 😉 Seriously though, if there’s wi-fi, I may blog from the iPad, but if not then you guys will just have to be without me for the week. I know you’re SO SAD.
Anyway, I’m off to do some laundry so that will have clothes to pack!
Have a great day! 🙂
Let’s talk about motivation!
What kinds of things motivate you to be healthy?? Motivation (IMO) is a HUGE factor in having success with your weight-loss/fitness/health goals. I thought I’d share with you some of my biggest fitness and health motivators! 🙂
When it comes to running and working out in general, I have a few key motivators that really keep me on top of my game…
1. Quality (and cute!) workout clothes/equipment. Everytime I buy new dry-fit shirts, tempo shorts, or even a new headband, I get really excited to workout! Knowing that I’m going to look cute while running or going to the gym really motivates me to actually GO! It may be a silly reason, but it works for me. 😉
2. Wear your gym clothes to bed! When I know I’m going to have to get up super early for a run or for the gym, I always wear my gym clothes to bed. That way, all I have to do is roll out of bed, put my shoes on, my hair up, and walk out the door.
3. Sign up for a race or competition. If you have something that you’re working towards and you’ve already signed up, then there’s no turning back and you know that you have to keep training! This is why I sign up for races really early. Knowing that I have to run 13.1 miles in less than 4 months motivates me to keep up with my running schedule so that I don’t fall behind. If you’re not in to running, go out on a limb and sign up for something else. Bikini competition???? haha But serisouly, if you know that you’ll have to walk out on stage in a bikini in a few months, you’ll definitely be motivated to keep working out! 😉
4. Get support from your friends and family. Tell people what you’re doing so that they can help keep you accountable and support you! Chad is a HUGE support system for me and always reminds me that I’m beautiful even when I’m not feeling great about myself. My family is also a major support system. In my last race I was running up a street that’s close to my house when I looked over and saw my mom and dad standing there cheering me on! They may not have realized it, but it gave me so much motivation to keep running! Little things like support with always keep you going. 🙂
What about EATING healthy?? Sometimes it’s harder to stay on track with healthy eating than it is to keep up your fitness routine. Here are some of the things that motivate me to eat healthier…
1. Find healthy foods that you LOVE and keep your kitchen stocked with them! There’s so many healthy foods that I love, and as long as I keep them in my kitchen, I have no problem grabbing those foods over something unhealthy. Some of my favorite healthy foods include:
Sweet potatoes, cucumbers w/hummus, fresh berries, greek yogurt, almond butter, Luna and Lara bars, eggs, oatmeal, zucchini, squash, asparagus, spinach, almonds, and the list can go on and on! Here’s my lunch from yesterday that included a leftover pork chop plus TONS of my favorite healthy foods!
2. Try new foods! Don’t be afraid to try something that’s new to you because you never know if you’ll like it or not! I never thought I’d like almond milk until I bought it for a special recipe and tried it by itself. Now I use it in place of milk! Another example is my breakfast this morning. I almost always have either an omelet or oatmeal for breakfast, but sometimes that gets old. So I tried something new with my eggs and made a scramble using spinach and a wedge of laughing cow garlic and herb cheese. So delicious! On the side is a piece of whole grain toast with almond butter.
3. DON’T STARVE YOURSELF. First of all, how you stay motivated if you wake up and know that you’re going to be miserable all day because of hunger??? This is just a recipe for disaster. I see this so often and used to be guilty of it too! If you’re eating less than 1000 calories a day, STOP IT! You’re body can’t function properly. Yes you might be losing weight… for now. But what happens when you finally reach your goal and go back to eating more? You’re body is going to FREAK OUT and store everything you eat as fat. Trust me, I’ve been down that road over and over and over. They key is to make eating healthy part of your life. If you do that plus stay active and workout, you’ll be amazed at what happens! Right now, I’m eating around 1470 calories per day, but only because I’m trying to lose a few pounds. If I wanted to maintain my weight, I’d be eating closer to 2,000 calories a day!
4. Plan for treats throughout the week. This is big one! I’m so much more motivated to stay healthy when I know that I get to have froyo on Friday night, or if I have a date night planned with Chad on Saturday. These treats also sometiems shock your body and boost your metabolism which eventaully helps your lose more weight! Isn’t it awesome? 🙂
5. Progress. I think this works for everyone. When I see that I’m making progress in losing wieght, or running, or lifting wieghts, I get so motivated to keep going! The more progress I see, the more motivated I get! Like placing 2nd in the 5 mile race last week! 🙂
All of these things I listed are awesome ways to stay motivated. But, I think that my number one motivator for living a healthy lifestyle is that no matter what you do or what happens to you, always make sure that you are happy. Nothing is worth losing your happiness! It’s taken me a long time to finally be happy with my healthy lifestyle. I went through years of starving myself, binging, starving myself, binging, and hating what I saw in the mirror. It wasn’t until I made the desicion to stop DIEting and to start living my life in a healthy way. It’s made a tremendous difference in my life, and even though I still go through times where I don’t feel “skinny” enough, or fast enough, or strong enough, I know that I am in am uch better place than I was this time last year. 🙂
I hope this helped you in some way! Please please please leave a comment or email me if you have any questions or just want to talk! Have a great day. 🙂
For this “episode” of What I Ate Wednesday, I’ve got food from Monday, Tuesday, AND today! Get excited. 😉
Lemon pepper chicken from the grill, roasted asparagus, and baked sweet potato.
Monday night treat
Skittles flavored shaved ice!
Overnight OIAJ!! My favorite breakfast evaaaaa!
Cucumber, spinach, and hummus sandwich, baby carrots, and pomegranate Chobani.
Grilled seasoned pork chops, roasted zucchini “fries” and brussels sprouts, and scalloped potatoes from Betty Crocker 😉
Protein powder and almond milk
Egg white omelet with spinach and ff mozzarella. This was my first time ever making an egg white omelet, and I really loved it!
This breakfast was the perfect fuel after a tough arms and chest workout with Chad this morning!
|Pull Downs||4/12||Level 3|
|Kick Backs||4/12||5 lbs|
|Skull Crushers||4/12||10 lbs total|
|Chest Press||3/12||30 lbs total|
|Incline Press||3/12||20 lbs total|
|Bicep Curls||4/12||10 lbs|
|Preacher Curls||4/12||10 lbs total|
|Concentration Curls||4/12||5 lbs|
I can tell that I’m getting stronger because it’s gotten easier to get through the exercises and I’m able to use heavier weights on some of them. Yay for muscles! 🙂
I’m glued to the TV again this morning because MTV is showing season 2 of Laguna Beach! grrr…. I’m going to have to pry myself off the couch in a few to get in a run that I was supposed to do yesterday. OOPS. I seem to always have to skip my Tuesday run because my legs are so sore after Monday’s workout.
I guess it’s time to lace up and get off the couch…. have a great Wednesday! 🙂
Afternoon! I meant to have this post up right after lunch, but Chad and I decided to spend some time at the pool which delayed my blogging time. But no complaints over here! 🙂
After a week of “vacation,” it was time for Chad and I to get back to our workout routine. I was glad to get in a good leg session with him this morning, but boy was it tough!
4 sets of 15 presses(135 lbs), extensions(40 lbs), squats(95 lbs), & curls(45 lbs), followed by 3 sets of 30 lunges.
Hello old friend!!
I got absolutely nothing done this morning all thanks to RetroMTV. What’s a girl supposed to do when there’s a Laguna Beach season 1 marathon playing all morning???
I got so excited when I heard the theme song come on… Let the rain come down and wake my dreams! Seriously, I was obsessed with this show in high school! My favorite was always Lo because she was so nice, but I was definitely for L.C. over Kristin. Bleh.
Anyway, I snacked on some cinnamon roasted almonds mid-morning.
I’ve been obsessed with this salad for a few days now. It’s just so tasty!
Spinach, strawberries, blueberries, and raspberry vinaigrette.
I also had a cucumber and hummus sandwich with the leftover cucumber on the side with more hummus! 😉
Like I said, after lunch Chad and I hit up the pool for some sunshine.
He decided to try to get Sasha into the pool…..
She was thrilled obviously.
When we came inside, I had an apple cinnamon Chobani that was intended for lunch but never made it to the table. Perfect post-swimming snack!
Have a marvelous Monday! 🙂
You can read about why I’ve been away from the blog world in this post!
The last time I posted, I was planning on riding down to Panama City Monday morning with my mom so that she could bring me back home on Wednesday morning. On the way down, I was feeling so bummed about not getting to stay for the whole trip, so just for kicks I started looking at flights into pcb. I just so happened to find an extremely cheap flight from Nashville, so I booked it right then and there! I know I’m crazy, but I really felt like I needed to go back so I could help Chad for the rest of the week. It was completely worth it! It was such an amazing week with all the youth and SO much fun!
When we got back on Friday, Chad and I unpacked and went to grab some dinner at Casa. Afterwards, I felt like I needed to get in some carbs and sugar in preparation for the 5 mile race I had the next morning. So we went to our favorite bakery for some cupcakes! I had two. TWO. It was awesome. I’m definitely making it a pre-race tradition. 😉
I woke up this morning (race day) and had an english muffin, half with peanut butter and half with a wedge of laughing cow cinnamon cream cheese plus a cup of coffee. I felt really good and was ready to run! I give credit to the cupcakes.
The race was great! I felt so good through out the entire race… until about the last half a mile, but that’s only because I picked up my speed quite a bit to finish faster. I’m glad I did though, because I finished in 53:29 which put me 2nd in my age group! Yay! 🙂
Chad got a pretty bad picture of me finishing, but here ya go. 😉
I was pretty pumped about my time! Even though my phone’s GPS said that I finished 5 miles in 50:40.
As I was waiting around after the race, my aunt found me and convinced me to run the mile run with her. I would have had 6 miles to run today anyway if I hadn’t had a race, so I thought why not? We ran a good 9 minute mile and once again, I felt really good! It was a great day to run! 🙂
I spent the rest of the day resting and hanging out with Chad. It’s been a super long and tiring week, so we didn’t feel like doing anything.
I’m ready to get back to my normal routine, but I only have about a week to do it because we’re going back to the beach next week with my family. This will be a very restful trip though, so I’m excited to get away again.
Regularly scheduled posts should be back up tomorrow! 🙂
I’ve unplugged from the computer/blog world for most of the weekend. It was nice to not worry about taking pictures of my food for the blog. 😉
I got some crazy news yesterday while celebrating Father’s Day with my family. I wont go into to too much detail, but basically these next few days are going to be insane. We’re taking our youth group to the beach this morning and the trip lasts until Friday. Yesterday I found out that I absolutely have to be in town on Wednesday night for something important. There was apparently a little miscommunication, and I was supposed to know about it a long time ago, but I never got the info. It’s no one’s fault, but it put me in a crazy spot because I’m supposed to be in Florida until Friday. This is where my amazing Mom came to the rescue! She offered to drive with us to the beach today so that she can bring me back on Wednesday morning. She’s basically the best. 🙂 I could have just stayed home the whole week, but that would mean there would be no female chaperone for the first half of the trip, and that’s no bueno with a group of 25 kids.
So more than likely there will be no blogging from me until after Wednesday. Wipe those tears people, it’ll be okay. 😉
But here’s just a little update since last we spoke…
My ME DAY on Friday turned into a morning hanging out with my mom, then an afternoon of online shopping (much better than leaving the house), and that night I finally went to see the show I had talked about on Thursday.
Saturday morning, I woke up early to run my 6 miles. My long runs are getting easier and easier! 🙂 Then I spent the morning celebrating the life of an amazing man from church who I loved dearly. He passed away last week and his ceremony was Saturday. Chad and I sang Revelation Song, and it was one of the hardest songs I’ve ever sung. Trying not to get choked up while singing during an emotional service is not an easy thing to do. The ceremony was beautiful and truly a celebration of his life.
The rest of the day Chad and I got everything together for our youth beach trip, then we crashed pretty early.
Sunday after church, we spent the first half of the day at my granddad’s with my family celebrating Father’s Day. Then I went with Chad later to visit his family for the night. It was during all of that when I found out I had to be somewhere on Wednesday! Yikes… but even with the all of the craziness, it was still a fun fun day!
And now, if you’ve actually made it this far in the post, it’s time for us to hit the road! I’ll try to take more pictures so that I can come back with a more interesting post. haha
Have a great day! 🙂
Chad is still away for a wedding (but will be home tonight!!), and I’m by myself all day today. No work. Nothing to keep me occupied. So, when I ended up sleeping in past my workout time this morning, I took that as a sign that I should keep the fun times going and have a special ME day today. 😉 Here are 5 things that I hope to do today, all for me!
1. Mani/Pedi! Haven’t had one in over a year. A YEAR!! I had my nails done for my wedding and haven’t done it since. This one is a must.
2. Bargain shopping. May sound a little weird, but I love a good bargain, and there’s a few stores that I want to hit up to see if I can find some fun things for cheap!
3. Buy some new workout clothes. Seriously, cute workout gear is one of my biggest fitness motivators! And since I’m in love with all things Nike, I see some tempos and dry-fit tanks in my future.
4. Lay in the sun. Specifically by the pool. 🙂
5. Eat peanut butter out of the jar. Who am I kidding. I do this every day. 😉
Catch you guys later. Make it a Fabulous Friday!! 🙂